Her work expresses ideas and emotions prompted by modernity and myth – ‘a search for the harmony and beauty that can be found in conscious and unconscious imaginings.’ Her designs avoid familiar international styles. The furniture and individual objects that she creates produce very specific shapes and aesthetics – and they are extremely place-sensitive.
Gloria Cortina’s design inspirations range from Mayan artifacts to Cubism, 20th century Modernism, México’s unique Arts and Crafts heritage, and natural and archaeological environments. These, and other sources, enrich her designs, giving them meaning and a uniquely individual character, balancing warmth and refinement.
Her designs flow from an intense interest in the physical, emotional, and creative qualities of spaces and materials. She develops and curates settings that bring together architecture, design, art, and culture in a way that creates place-sensitive atmospheres and aesthetics.
The designs are sensually sophisticated, emotionally engaged, and her beautifully crafted individual pieces have greatly increased international awareness of Mexican culture in contemporary design.
Her work can be found in the permanent collections of international museums like Musée des Arts Décoratifs, Paris, Cooper Hewitt Design Museum, New York, and Museum of Fine Arts, Denver.
Born in Bethesda, Maryland in 1972, Cortina’s design practice is widely seen throughout Mexico and the US.
- 2017 Exhibitionists Group Show, Cristina Grajales Gallery, New York
- 2016 Gloria Cortina: From Within, Cristina Grajales Gallery, New York
- 2016 Spring Group Show, Cristina Grajales Gallery, New York
- 2016 Rise and Shine Group Show, Cristina Grajales Gallery, New York
- Jeremiah Brent Brings Worldly Flair to This Manhattan Apartment Date: January, 2021, Source: Architectural Digest
- 8 Salon Art + Design 2019 Standouts Date: November, 2019, Source: Architectural Digest
- The Meaning of Luxury Date: November, 2019, Source: The New York Times
- Mexican house in Cabo St Lucas designed with "almost sculptural quality" Date: September, 2019, Source: dezeen
- How Mexico's New Wave of Designers Is Changing the Way We Dress, Live and Travel Date: June, 2019, Source: Robb Report
- Gloria Cortina Takes Us Shopping in Mexico City Date: February, 2018, Source: 1stdibs
- Gloria Cortina 's Synergy Bench Date: June, 2017, Source: Hong Kong Economic Journal
- Jewel-like furnishings that light up the room Date: June, 2017, Source: FT How To Spend It
- Gloria Cortina: Valor de nación concretizado Date: April, 2017, Source: Vogue México y Latinoamérica
- Gloria Cortina: Balance & Beauty Date: March, 2017, Source: Sotheby's Magazine
- Especial Galerías Date: February, 2017, Source: Glocal Design Magazine
- The best of Design Miami 2016 Date: December, 2016, Source: FT How To Spend It
- More Than A Moment Date: December, 2016, Source: Cultured Magazine
- Design Miami: From limited edition jewellery to a shimmering cafe installation... Date: November, 2016, Source: FT Weekend
- Pride of Place Date: October, 2016, Source: Architectural Digest
- Top Brass: Geometric Tables Date: August, 2015, Source: WSJ Magazine
- Gloria Cortina in Summus Magazine Date: June, 2015, Source: Summus Magazine
Works by Artist