Gloria Cortina is a well-established and renowned interior designer based in Mexico City, where she is the principal of her eponymous design studio. Cortina holds a bachelor’s degree in philosophy and aesthetics from the Universidad Iberoamericana (1997), Mexico City, which was followed by a degree in interior design (1999) from Parsons The New School for Design, New York City.
Following her education, Cortina gained experience working under the tutelage of acclaimed architects David Ling in New York City, and Ricardo Legorreta in Mexico City, before going on to form the multidisciplinary design firm A5 Arquitectura with a group of peers. Today, fully dedicated to her interior and furniture design practice through Gloria Cortina Estudio, she provides design services for luxury properties, anchored on her own bespoke furniture and lighting created in collaboration with local artisans and workshops to uphold the utmost standard of quality and design.
Favoring exquisite materials such as tropical woods, extraordinary stones, textured metals and rich textiles sourced both locally and worldwide, Cortina’s blend of Old World sophistication and Mexican flare has affirmed her position as an arbiter of taste among the country’s elite; her aesthetic reflects the cosmopolitan nature of contemporary life in Mexico. Following the philosophies of great Mexican masters such as Diego Rivera, Luis Barragan and Mathias Goeritz, Cortina similarly considers her work a consolidation of style in which she interprets motifs from a wide array of inspirations, from Cubism to Modernism to Mexico’s own arts and crafts heritage. All of these influences combine to create a strikingly unique visual language.
- 2017 Exhibitionists Group Show, Cristina Grajales Gallery, New York
- 2016 Gloria Cortina: From Within, Cristina Grajales Gallery, New York
- 2016 Spring Group Show, Cristina Grajales Gallery, New York
- 2016 Rise and Shine Group Show, Cristina Grajales Gallery, New York
- Jeremiah Brent Brings Worldly Flair to This Manhattan Apartment Date: January, 2021, Source: Architectural Digest
- 8 Salon Art + Design 2019 Standouts Date: November, 2019, Source: Architectural Digest
- The Meaning of Luxury Date: November, 2019, Source: The New York Times
- Mexican house in Cabo St Lucas designed with "almost sculptural quality" Date: September, 2019, Source: dezeen
- How Mexico's New Wave of Designers Is Changing the Way We Dress, Live and Travel Date: June, 2019, Source: Robb Report
- Gloria Cortina Takes Us Shopping in Mexico City Date: February, 2018, Source: 1stdibs
- Gloria Cortina 's Synergy Bench Date: June, 2017, Source: Hong Kong Economic Journal
- Jewel-like furnishings that light up the room Date: June, 2017, Source: FT How To Spend It
- Gloria Cortina: Valor de nación concretizado Date: April, 2017, Source: Vogue México y Latinoamérica
- Gloria Cortina: Balance & Beauty Date: March, 2017, Source: Sotheby's Magazine
- Especial Galerías Date: February, 2017, Source: Glocal Design Magazine
- The best of Design Miami 2016 Date: December, 2016, Source: FT How To Spend It
- More Than A Moment Date: December, 2016, Source: Cultured Magazine
- Design Miami: From limited edition jewellery to a shimmering cafe installation... Date: November, 2016, Source: FT Weekend
- Pride of Place Date: October, 2016, Source: Architectural Digest
- Top Brass: Geometric Tables Date: August, 2015, Source: WSJ Magazine
- Gloria Cortina in Summus Magazine Date: June, 2015, Source: Summus Magazine